Saluki Volunteer Corps
1. What is
2. How do I become an SVC member?Use the Saluki Volunteer Portal to sign up for volunteer opportunities and submit hours verification forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. What are the current volunteer opportunities and how can I sign up?Visit the Saluki Volunteer Portal to find up-to-date postings for community needs.
4. Do all volunteers need to complete background checks?Some community organizations are required by law to complete a background check on all staff as well as volunteers. Check with the community organization you are interested in volunteering with about this requirement. In some cases, please note that the volunteer may have to pay the fee to complete the process.
5. Is there anything else I need to know?Some of our student volunteers do work with sensitive information. We ask that volunteers keep such matters confidential. When in doubt, always ask the staff or come and check with our office. We ask volunteers to be dependable, professional and courteous at all times when working with community partners.
7. Is volunteerism the same as service‐learning?While both terms refer to civic involvement and service, there are differences. Volunteer activities are those listed on the Saluki Volunteer Portal, while service‐learning is intended for specific classes, community‐based research projects, and internships, which will receive academic credit.
Read this list of service-learning courses available at SIU. Contact the academic department for more information.